Scholarships for Student Activists
SSA Student Activist Scholarship
The 2021 scholarship application will open on May 15, 2021
The scholarships are available to SSA student members enrolled in high school or college in the United States and are designed to support students who in addition to pursuing excellence in their academic studies are also activists for secular values on their campus and/or in their community.
SSA membership is FREE to students. Fill out the application here.
Each year, the Secular Student Alliance offers scholarships to student activists who demonstrate secular values in their personal lives, on their campus, and in their community.
Before you start on the application below you may wish to take some time and write out answers to the following questions which will appear in part 2 of the application.
- Tell us about yourself: what are your educational, career and life goals?
- What is your secular identity, how did you come to it, and how will it will remain a part of your life?
- What kind of secular activism have you participated in (on campus or off)? If this involved intersectional activism please be sure to mention that.
- What activism plans do you have for this academic year? Please provide specifics.
- Why is the work of the SSA important to you and what are your goals relating to the Secular Student Alliance Mission and Vision for a more secular and humanistic future?
- How will this scholarship help you reach your goals?
In addition to scholarships that apply to all high school and college students nationwide, there are also unique and state-specific scholarships, including:
Zora Neale Hurston Scholarship - awarded jointly by Black Nonbelievers
Dr. Hector Avalos Scholarship - awarded jointly by Hispanic American Freethinkers
Cliff Richards Memorial/FFRF Scholarships for students attending an HBCU
Yip Harburg Lyric Foundation/FFRF Scholarship for a student in the Arts
Phoenix Fund/FFRF Scholarship for Native American students.
Al Luneman/FFRF Student Activist Award for a student who is outspoken on state/church separation
The Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers sponsors a scholarship for a student who is active duty military or a veteran.
If you are enrolled in school in one of the following states, you may be eligible for these scholarships:
- The Florida Humanist Association sponsors two scholarships to students enrolled in college in the state of Florida.
- The Humanists of Sarasota Bay sponsors one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in Sarasota County or nearby counties.
- The Humanists of North Central Florida sponsors one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in the North Central Florida region.
- The Atheist Community of Polk County sponsors one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in Polk County or nearby counties.
- The Central Florida Freethought Community sponsors one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in the state of Florida.
- The Rationalists of East Tennessee sponsors one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in the state of Tennessee student (family members of board members are ineligible for the scholarship).
- Oklahoma Atheists sponsors one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in the state of Oklahoma.
- Houston Oasis sponsors one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in the state of Texas.
- Freethinkers Association of Central Texas in San Antonio sponsors one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in the state of Texas.
- The Janice Mowry Memorial Scholarship scholarship is awarded to a student in the state of Colorado.
- The Freethought Society sponsors one scholarship to a student in the state of Pennsylvania.
- The Rationalist Society Of Saint Louis sponsors one scholarship to a student in the state of Missouri.
- The Humanist Association of Orange County, Humanist Society of Santa Barbara, and Atheists United sponsor one scholarship to a student enrolled in college in Southern California.
- The Secular Student Alliance sponsors a scholarship to students enrolled in middle or high school in the state of California.
Sponsor A Secular Student Scholarship
Individual, national organizations, and local atheist, humanist, and freethought groups can directly impact the lives of secular student activists by sponsoring a scholarship. The Secular Student Alliance does most of the work. You select and congratulate your student scholarship recipient.
The American Atheist scholarship
American Atheists celebrates student activism by awarding scholarships to students who demonstrate atheist activism in their communities and schools. The application period opens in December of each year with applications due by mid-February. Check back for a link to the application.
Black Skeptics of Los Angeles First in the Family Humanist Scholarship
Freedom From Religion Foundation Catherine Fahringer Memorial Award
Four $2,500 scholarships are awarded to high school youth to assist with their tuition, room and board, books, and other academic resources. This award is available to high school youth who live in the U.S. who identify as atheist, agnostic, humanist and/or secular, and are accepted into two or four-year colleges. Preference is given to students of color (Black/African American, Latino(a), Asian/Pacific Islander, Native American). Students who are (or have been) in foster care, homeless, undocumented and/or LGBTQ are encouraged to apply.
Check back for the 2021 scholarship application.