Project Grant Application
Before applying for a project grant, make sure that you are applying for the right type of SSA funding!
- Please click here for Speakers Bureau Funding.
- Please click here for travel funding to help get to SSA Con.
- Please click here for Large Event Funding
- Check out the fast and easy Funding Finder if you're not quite sure what type of funding you need.
|Jump Straight To:||SSA Project Grant Application||Follow-Up Report|
We want to support SSA groups who are doing awesome, cool, and/or creative events! Groups are encouraged to apply to help put on events of many different types. Past projects have included (but most definitely are not limited to) fundraisers, service projects/trips, FSM dinners, movie screenings, education initiatives, and many other great events. We are here to assist your group's creativity and help make your project, idea, or initiative a success.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Commonly, project grants from the Secular Student Alliance tend to be amounts up to $250 but you are welcome to apply for higher amounts as well. We do occasionally offer more funding for projects that look very remarkable and creative to us (up to a max of $1,000).
- Grants are intended for specific projects, rather than operational funding. They are also meant to supplement other sources of funding. We always encourage SSA groups to try to tap into their school's student organization funds as well as to apply to other national and local organizations for funding assistance. We want to help you generate a diverse financial support base.
- As the Secular Student Alliance is a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit organization, we cannot provide funding for projects that endorse a political party or a specific candidate during an election. Funding can, however, be used to bring attention to political issues such as creationism in science classrooms or separation of church and state issues.
- We generally do not cover the cost of food (such as pizza at a general meeting) unless it is the primary purpose of the event, such as an FSM dinner or a Darwin Day Birthday Party Celebration. But you are always welcome to apply to see if we will cover food as part of an event.
- If you are applying outside of an SSA group context (such as if you are a secular student activist without connections to an on-campus SSA group), you may still apply for a grant. However, we encourage you to keep your application as specific as possible in order to make it more likely to be approved.
Please submit your grant application no less than 30 days before the event or when you need the money (whichever is earlier). We like to provide hands-on advice, not just the check - we would rather receive an incomplete request sooner than a complete one later, so we have more time to help you fill in the gaps and build your plans. If you have any questions or concerns about this, email us! We are here to help you out.
There are some basic requirements for all grant applicants. Please review these requirements before submitting your application. If you do not meet one or more of these requirements, please tell us and we will be delighted to assist you.
- Your group must be an affiliate or chapter of the Secular Student Alliance. Chapters often qualify for greater support.
- Your group must have a bank account in your group's name so that we can write the grant check to your group.
- If you are awarded a grant, SSA must be included in all promotional materials as a sponsor.
- A follow-up report is required to be submitted within 30 days of the event or the conclusion of the project, or your group may become ineligible for future financial support.
We have some special guidelines for larger grants (up to $1,000) and travel grants (used to help members of your group attend any events that you must travel to outside of your city or state) Check out these links for more information on those.
Ask Us For Help!
We want to help you with your project. If you have questions or concerns about the application or grant process, please don't hesitate to contact us. If you need some direction as you put your grant application together, we encourage you to check out our Sample Grant Application.