Project Grant Application
Before applying for a project grant, make sure that you are applying for the right type of SSA funding!
- Are you looking for Reason Rally 2016 travel funds? You're in the right place!
- Please click here for Speakers Bureau funding.
- Please click here for travel funding to help get to SSA Con.
- Please click here for the Multi-Speaker grant form.
- Check out the fast and easy Funding Finder if you're not quite sure what type of funding you need.
|Jump Straight To:||SSA Project Grant application||Funding follow-up report form|
We want to support SSA affiliate groups who are doing awesome, cool, and/or creative events! Affiliates are encouraged to apply to help put on events of many different types. Past projects have included (but most definitely are not limited to) fundraisers, service projects/trips, FSM dinners, movie screenings, education initiatives, and many other great events. We are here to assist your group's creativity and help make your project, idea, or initiative a success.
Things to keep in mind:
- Commonly, project grants from the Secular Student Alliance tend to be amounts up to $250 but you are welcome to apply for higher amounts as well.
- We do occasionally offer more funding for projects that look very remarkable and creative to us (up to $1,000).
- Grants are intended for specific projects, rather than operational funding.
- Please keep in mind that, as the Secular Student Alliance is a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit organization, we cannot provide funding for projects that endorse a political party or candidate. Funding can, however, be used to bring attention to political issues such as creationism in science classrooms or separation of church and state issues.
- SSA project grants are mean to supplement other sources of funding. We always encourage SSA affiliate groups to try to tap into their school's student organization funds as well as to apply to other national and local organizations for funding assistance. For more on how to raise funds from many different sources, check out this page.
- You may also apply for a project grant as an individual secular activist if you are unconnected to an SSA affiliate group. We also support individual students and projects in this way.
- Are you looking to apply for a grant to use towards group t-shirts? Check out this page before you do!
Please submit your grant application no less than 30 days before the event or when you need the money (whichever is first). We like to provide hands-on advice, not just the check - we would rather receive an incomplete request sooner than a complete one later, so we have more time to help you fill in the gaps and build your plans. If you have any questions or concerns about this, email us! We are here to help you out.
There are some basic requirements for all grant applicants. Please review these requirements before submitting your application. If you do not meet one or more of these requirements, please tell us and we will be delighted to assist you.
- Your group must be an affiliate of the Secular Student Alliance.
- Your group must have a constitution, charter or bylaws - and must be able to provide a copy of it.
- Unless you are at a private/religious school, your group must have official recognition by your school.
- Your group must have a bank account in your group's name so that we can write the grant check to your group.
- If you are awarded a grant, SSA must be included in all promotional materials as a sponsor.
- A follow-up report is required to be submitted within 30 days of the event or the conclusion of the project.
We have some special guidelines for larger grants (up to $1,000) and travel grants (funds used to help members of your group attend regional or national conferences and other secular events) Check out these links for more information on those.
Ask Us For Help!
We want to help you with your project. If you have questions or concerns about the application or grant process, please don't hesitate to contact us. If you need some direction as you put your grant application together, we encourage you to check out our Sample Grant Application.