|Southeast Regional Speakers|
- Located in Melbourne, FL
- Ph.D. in Astrophysics from the University of Hertfordshire
- Assistant Professor of Physics and Space Sciences at the Florida Institute of Technology
- Director of the Olin Observatory
- Founder of the Secular Student Alliance at Florida Tech
- Conducts research on supermassive black holes and advanced astronomical imaging techniques
- Evolution of the Universe
- Are We Alone?
- Dealing with Anti-intellectualism
- Scientific Conservatism, Prediction, and Falsifiability
|| Ryan Cragun |
- Associate Professor of Sociology at University of Tampa
- Research interests are Mormonism, the nonreligious, and secularization
- Author of numerous peer-reviewed articles, book chapters, encyclopedia entries, and other reports
- Author of several articles in Free Inquiry
- Author of two books: "Could I Vote for a Mormon for President?" and "What You Don't Know About Religion (but should)"
- Growth of the Nonreligious
- Science and Religion
- Scientific Conservatism, Prediction, and Falsifiability
- What is Religion?
- Why Are People Religious?
- Discrimination Against The Nonreligious
- The Future of Religion
- Religion and Families
- Demonic Possession
- Characteristics of the Nonreligious
- (Non)religion and Health, Happiness, and Morality
- Located in Columbia, SC
- PhD Student in Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of South Carolina
- Co-Chair of Secular Coalition for South Carolina
- SSA Volunteer Network Coordinator for South Carolina
- Contributor for The Feminist Observer
- Volunteer for the Sexual Trauma Services of the Midlands
- Your Brain on Religion: How Psychology and Neuroscience Research Explain Religious Belief
- Secular Coalition for America
- The Neuroscience of Mind Reading
- Feminism and gender violence prevention
- Located in Sarasota, FL.
- Sociology major, gender studies minor.
- Blogs at ozyfrantz.com.
- Has contributed to Jezebel, In Our Words Blog, Role/Reboot, and the Good Men Project.
- Trans Inclusion/Trans 101.
- Why Skeptics Should Talk About Mental Health.
- How Cognitive Biases Lead To Oppression and Social Injustice.
- Misogyny In The Atheist Community.
- Graduate of the University of Florida
- Raised to be a fundamentalist Christian
- Worked at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- Worked as a consultant from 1996 to 2013
- Regional Director with American Atheists
- Co-founder and former Executive Director of Secular Coalition for Alabama
- How a Picture Book, The Space Race, and The Cold War Made Me a Junior Skeptic.
- An Agenda For Equality - Raising the Floor for Everyone
- The Christian Nation Myth
- Why Your Vote Counts and What (besides voting) You Should Do About It.
||Christopher F. Silver|
- Located in Chattanooga, TN
- Ed. D Candidate in Education and Leadership at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Is currently conducting research exploring the complexities of self-identity adjectives in how atheist and agnostic participants self-describe
- Mr. Silver also serves as an instructor at UT Chattanooga teaching courses in psychology as well as the faculty advisor to the UTC Student Secular Alliance.
- Mr. Silver has collaborated in the fields of religious studies, psychology and sociology of religion. His current collaboration is as a research manager for the US team of the Bielefeld (Germany) International Study of Spirituality.
- The Psychology of Religion
- Non-belief in America
- Research Methodologies (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
|Click Here to Request a Southeast Regional Speaker
|SSA National Speakers Bureau Members Based in the Southeast|
- Located in Asheville, NC
- One of a small handful of openly non-theist politicians in the U.S., dubbed the most Courageous Elected Official of 2010 by the American Atheists.
- Author of Whale Falls: An exploration of belief and its consequences, and The Prince of War: Billy Graham's Crusade for a Wholly Christian Empire.
- Winner of national and regional awards for investigative reporting, criticism, humorous commentary and slam poetry.
- Author of Geoffrey Wasn't Rash (chapbook and tape) and Can We Have Archaic and Idiot? A collection of fictitious tropes.
||Jonny Brotherton |
- Located in Lawrenceville, GA
- Founder and Executive Director of Atheist Analysis
- Founder of Grillin' With Atheist
- Produces more video content per week then any other Atheist Organization
- 45 Volunteers
- 15 Blog Articles Per Week
- All of our content is made available free of charge, and ALWAYS will be.
- Located in Lilburn, GA
- Has been called the "reverse preacher"
- Extremely comfortable in front of any sized crowd
- A stickler for being on time
- Expert on my subject matter
- Very creative (author, poet, musician, filmmaker, speaker)
- Able to speak to any demographic
- I enjoy what I do immensely
-Deleterious effects on society
-Historical impact on the world
-Injurious effects (specifically on African Americans)
-Racism... why it's not what we think it is
-American precepts of racial inferiority
-Slavery (why it's still relevant)
- And more!
- Located in Rural Louisiana
- Jerry is a Public Speaker, Author and Celebrant with the Humanist Society
- Is a board member for The Clergy Project
- Is a board member for Foundation Beyond Belief
- He is the author of Hope After Faith
- His website can be found at jerrydewitt.net or HopeAfterFaith.com
- Twitter: @jerry_dewitt
||Candace Gorham |
- Located in Durham, NC
- Author of The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women are Walking Out on Religion and Others Should, Too
- Former minister in a charismatic-style church
- Member of The Clergy Project & The Therapist Project
- Received Master's degree in counseling from Wake Forest University
- Twitter: @EbonyExodus
- Find out more on The Ebony Exodus Project on Facebook and at this website.
||Jennifer (Jen) Hancock|
- Located in Tampa Bay, FL
- Former executive director for the Humanists of Florida Association.
- Author: The Humanist Approach to Happiness: Practical Wisdom Writer and producer of An Introduction to Humanism on DVD
- Tampa Humanist and Freethought Examiner for Examiner.com
- Writes a freelance column about Humanism for the Bradenton Herald newspaper.
- Writes the Happiness through Humanism blog and podcast.
- Located in Atlanta, GA
- Editor/co-author of Parenting Beyond Belief and Raising Freethinkers
- Author of freethought satirical novels Calling Bernadette's Bluff and Good Thunder Editor of Voices of Unbelief: Documents of Atheists and Agnostics (2012)
- Founding Executive Director of Foundation Beyond Belief
- 2008 Harvard Humanist of the Year
- Author of Atheism for Dummies
- Currently located in Columbia, SC
- Currently getting PhD in Mass Communications, focusing on Women's Studies and Reality TV
- Worked in reality television as an editor -- shows included Toddlers & Tiaras, Flipping Out, Ace of Cakes
- Plays the Ukulele
- Member of the SSA Board of Directors
- Communications Officer at Provide -- An organization dedicated to abortion access, especially in the South
- Twitter: @ashleyfmiller
Ashley would love to speak on the following topics:
- Atheism and diversity
- Introduction to feminism
- Media literacy and how to work with the media
- Religion versus women, minorities, and LGBT
- Using Social Media effectively
- Film, Television, Young Adult Literature
- Blogging, Podcasting, Vlogging
- History of Christianity
- Coping with burn out
||Robert L. Reece|
- From the Mississippi Delta, located in Durham, NC.
- Founder or co-founder of two successful blogs: Still Furious and Brave, a blog of social commentary, particularly on race, feminism, and the South, and Magnolia Fresh, a southern black men's style blog.
- Author of numerous peer reviewed articles and book chapters on a variety of topics.
- Working on a book project that examines the experiences of black women web cam models.
- Located in Charleston, SC
- Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at the College of Charleston
- Founded and was faculty advisor to the Atheist-Humanist Alliance
- President of the Secular Coalition for America
- Former candidate for Governor of South Carolina
- Founded Secular Humanists of the Lowcountry in South Carolina
- Located in Atlanta, GA
- Born and raised in New York City
- Never formally raised religious
- Married with 3 children
- A founder and President of Black Nonbelievers, Inc.
- Current board member of Foundation Beyond Belief
- Twitter: @mandy0904
- Located in Atlanta, GA Former president (2008-2010) and current board member, American Atheists
- Former executive director, Council for Secular Humanism
- Former president, Atlanta Freethought Society (AFS)
- Life member, American Atheists, Council for Secular Humanism, FFRF, AFS Author of many chapters, essays, LTEs; editor and publisher
- Co-editor/compiler, with his son Michael, Quotations That Support Separation of State and Church, 2nd Edition (Freethought Press)
|Click Here to Request a SSA National Speakers Bureau Member|
Click Here to see our entire national Speakers Bureau