|Faisal Saeed Al-Mutar |
- Located in Houston, TX.
- Born in June 16th 1991, right after first gulf war, lived all childhood under Sanctions and Saddam Hussein Nationalist and Islamist Dictatorship.
- The 2nd chapter of my life starts with the U.S Intervention in 2003 and the Civil War between Sunnis and Shias
- Late 2007 my eldest brothers was killed in Iraq by Al Qaeda which ruined the family since then.
- I lived in exile from September 2009 in many countries across the Middleeast east and South East Asia.
March 2013: I arrived to the United States.
- Education: Computer Science (Started 2011) going to continue here in the United States
- Self Study: Philosophy and Macro economics since age 8 (which is the reason why I am an Atheist since birth).
- Global Secular Humanist Movement - its roots started from a local group I created in Iraq, today it has more than 195,000 Followers and growing.
- Branches: 5 so far across the world. And 7 will be created this year.
- Secular Post - Media platform for Secularists from all over the world to publish their ideas and thoughts (especially in countries with limited free speech and Atheists are prosecuted)
- Written for publications such as : Big Think, National Post, Washington Post
- Speeches: Found on YouTube
- Lives in San Diego, CA
- Writes Op-Ed's for AlterNet, Salon and The Huffington Post
- Author of an upcoming book on raising children in a Christian America
- Has a column in American Atheist Magazine called Danthropology
- Is the newsletter editor for the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
- Is the author of Parenting Without God: How to Raise Moral, Ethical and Intelligent Children Free From Religious Dogma
- Also now the Ethics Expert for the Global Secular Council
- Twitter: @danarel
- Located in Washington, DC
- Atlanta native, recent transplant to the DC area
- Program Manager at the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
- Founder and three-term President of Secular Panthers at Georgia State University
- Queer Poly Sci-Fi/Comics Nerd
- Formerly various kinds of religious (Christian, Jewish) and spiritual (gnostic, pagan)
- Former "psychic"
- Located in Thousand Oaks, CA
- Chair of the Secular Student Alliance Board of Directors
- Founder of the first SSA Affiliate on a religious campus
- First atheist Student Body President at California Lutheran University
- Co-Founder of the Humanist Community of Ventura County
- Founder and Director of Spectrum Experience LLC
- Twitter: @evansaysblah
- Located in Somerville, MA
- Vice-Chair of the Humanist Graduate Community at Harvard
- Assistant Editor of The New Humanism
- Founder of Temple of the Future
- Humanist Celebrant
|Thea Deley |
- Located in Paonia, CO
- Only comedian on SSA's roster with a vajayjay.
- Called 'a face of new Atheism' by Denver's "Westword."
- Founding minister of the Church of Personal Responsibility.
- Promises to restore your virginity or send you home with a condom.
- Rated "Rad!" by Metro State University student newspaper.
- Once burst into a church and yelled at the worship band to STFU.
- Performing at American Atheists' 2014 national conference in Salt Lake City.
- Twitter: @theadeley
- Located in Lawrence, KS
- Co-Founder of Skepticon
- Located in Madison, WI (frequently travels to Minnesota)
- Attorney for the Freedom From Religion Foundation
- Spokesperson on state/church issues with the media, including the Los Angeles Times, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Fox News, MSNBC and other national news sources covering state/church issues.
- Speaking engagements have included freethinker groups, conventions, legislative testimony, and training for school administrators.
- Located in Chicago, IL
- Student at The University of Chicago Law School
- Organized over 5,000 people in response to a threat by the Westboro Baptist Church
- Affectionately known at Oregon State as "The DiploMatt"
- SSACon 2015 Speaker
- Located in Atlanta, GA
- Creator of the website What’s the Harm? - whatstheharm.net
- Author of the Skeptical Software Tools blog - skeptools.com
- Contributor to Skepticality podcast - skepticality.com
- Panelist on Virtual Skeptics video webcast - virtualskeptics.com
- Curator of the daily Skeptic History, the Skepticism Conventions Guide and the annual In Memoriam reel at TAM
- Contributor to Skeptical Inquirer magazine
- Past Fellow of the James Randi Educational Foundation
- Located in Washington, DC
- LGBT Editor, ThinkProgress.org
- Founder, ZackFordBlogs.com
- Founder, Queer and Queerer Podcast
- Twitter: @ZackFord
- Located in Columbus, OH
- Communications Associate for the Secular Student Alliance
- Former intern for both the SSA and Foundation Beyond Belief
- President/Officer of SSA at the University of South Carolina (2010-2013)
- Founder and president of Forward Progressive Alliance at USC (2011-2013)
- Contributor to Friendly Atheist
- Has spoken at multiple conferences and freethought venues throughout the country
- Twitter: @ramenneedles
|Jessika Griffin |
- Located in Bloomington, IN
- SSA Regional Campus Organizer for the Mideast Region (IL, IN, MI, OH, & KY)
- Education: BS in Public Management from the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IU Bloomington. Minor in legal studies.
- Former Secular Alliance at IU President ('12-'13) and Outreach Director ('11-'12)
- Twitter: @SSAJessika
- Jessika can speak on secular activism, building a community on campus, doing interfaith work, how to run social media and other promotional resources, working with off campus groups, and animal liberation.
- Located in Tampa Bay, FL
- Former executive director for the Humanists of Florida Association.
- Author: The Humanist Approach to Happiness: Practical Wisdom Writer and producer of An Introduction to Humanism on DVD
- Tampa Humanist and Freethought Examiner for Examiner.com
- Writes a freelance column about Humanism for the Bradenton Herald newspaper.
- Writes the Happiness through Humanism blog and podcast.
| Jason Heap |
- Located in Washington, DC
- Travelled to nearly 40 countries through work, leisure and service projects.
- Family and friends come from over 10 religious traditions.
- Qualified as a Teacher of Religious Education in the UK's State-maintained schools.
- Was first appointed as a Headteacher (the UK equivalent of a 'Teaching Principal' in the US) at the age of 32.
- First applicant to be a Humanist chaplain to the US Navy (application ongoing).
- Located in San Rafael, California
- Non-theistic freethinker; "Nature Chaplain"
- Instructor in "natural spirituality" through Cherry Hill Seminary; adjunct instructor, Dominican University and Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley
- Nine published books including Life After Faith
- Presbyterian Minister for 14 years (1987-2001; Master of Divinity degree from San Francisco Theological Seminary; parish associate for 10 years; left ordination for reasons of conscience)
- Interfaith Chaplain in county jails--10,000 inmates per year-- and with unhoused, homeless poor--in one of the nation's wealthiest counties-- for 20 years (directed county emergency shelter for 2 winters)
- Taught courses in congregations on World Religions and Sacred Scriptures
- Philosophy major, Seattle Pacific University--evangelical college
- Former Evangelical (high school through college attended Baptist, Pentecostal,
Protestant, Campus Crusade and House Church congregations; youth group leader; wide biblical and ecumenical knowledge)
- Located in Los Angeles, CA
- Sikivu Hutchinson is the author of Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars, Godless Americana: Race and Religious Rebels, and the forthcoming White Nights, Black Paradise, a novel on Peoples Temple and the Jonestown Massacre.
- She is the founder of Black Skeptics Los Angeles, a 501c3 nonprofit organization, and a Senior Fellow for the Institute for Humanist Studies. The Black Skeptics Group sponsors annual First in the Family Humanist scholarship awards.
- She is also the project director of the Women's Leadership Project feminist humanist mentoring program.
- Located in New York, NY
- Author of the photography book, "A Better Life: 100 Atheists Speak Out on Joy & Meaning in a World Without God"
- Director of upcoming film version of the book.
- Has raised over $125,000 on Kickstarter for the book/film of "A Better Life"
- Interviewed atheists from around the world for the two projects including notable figures such as, Richard Dawkins, Dan Dennett, Steven Pinker, Penn & Teller, Julia Sweeney, Alex Honnold, & Derren Brown, among others.
- Check him out on Youtube here.
- The journey of creating "A Better Life" - from concept to published book!
- A new way of looking at atheism
- Atheism and Death
|Jamie Kilstein |
- Located in Brooklyn, NY
- Comedian and Co-Host of Citizen Radio
- As seen on MSNBC, Conan O'Brien, Showtime, and more
- Doesn't hate women
- Performed at The Reason Rally, Global Atheist Convention etc
- Twitter handle: @jamiekilsteind
- Located in New York, NY
- Author of the blog Daylight Atheism
- Cited in Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion
- Won first prize in a science-writing contest judged by Steven Pinker
- Was singled out in campaign attack ads in 2008 run by a Republican senator
- Lifetime member of the Freedom from Religion Foundation
- Located in Columbus, OH
- Manager of the Secular Student Alliance's Regional Program
- Formerly SSA's Regional Campus Organizer for the Southeastern US
- Founder of the Southeastern Collegiate Atheist Alliance
- President/Officer of Alabama Atheists and Agnostics (2010 - 2012)
- Has inadvertently appeared on The O'Reilly Factor, The Blaze, and Creation Today.
- Has spoken at multiple conferences and freethought venues throughout the Southeast and the rest of the country
- Twitter @SouthernHeathen
- Located in Ripon, WI
- Professor of Communication at Ripon College, in Ripon, WI
- Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Public Address from Penn State University
- Teaches courses on the rhetoric of social movements, U.S public address, political campaign communication, public speaking, argumentation theory, and metaphor and social problems
- Advises the Secular Student Alliance at Ripon College
|David G. McAfee|
- Author of Mom, Dad, I'm an Atheist: The Guide to Coming Out as a Non-Believer and Disproving Christianity and other Secular Writings
- Contributor to American Atheist Magazine and Canadian Freethinker
- Graduated with BA in Religious Studies and English
Hemant's speaking topics include:
- The story behind I Sold My Soul on eBay
- The need for critical thinking in public schools
- The challenges of being a young atheist
- Why skeptics can be so gullible
|Ashley F. Miller|
- Currently located in Columbia, SC
- Currently getting PhD in Mass Communications, focusing on Women's Studies and Reality TV
- Worked in reality television as an editor -- shows included Toddlers & Tiaras, Flipping Out, Ace of Cakes
- Plays the Ukulele
- Member of the SSA Board of Directors
- Communications Officer at Provide -- An organization dedicated to abortion access, especially in the South
- Twitter: @ashleyfmiller
Ashley would love to speak on the following topics:
- Atheism and diversity
- Introduction to feminism
- Media literacy and how to work with the media
- Religion versus women, minorities, and LGBT
- Using Social Media effectively
- Film, Television, Young Adult Literature
- Blogging, Podcasting, Vlogging
- History of Christianity
- Coping with burn out
|Miri Mogilevsky |
- Lives in NYC
- Studied psychology at Northwestern University
- Now studying social work at Columbia University
- Blogs about social justice, psychology, and basically everything at freethoughtblogs.com/brutereason
- Tweets @sondosia
- Enjoys Russian literature and Cheezits
| David Niose|
- Located in Lunenburg, Massachusetts
- Author of Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans, and Fighting Back the Right: Reclaiming America from the Attack on Reason (December 2014)
- Former president of the Secular Coalition for America and American Humanist Association
- Legal Director for the American Humanist Association
- Attorney who has litigated on behalf of Secular Americans
- Humanist blog at Psychology Today, called "Our Humanity, Naturally."
- Twitter: @ahadave
|Anthony B. Pinn|
- Located in Houston, TX
- Harvard University PhD (1994)
- First African American to hold an Endowed Chair at Rice University
- Author/editor of 28 books - including several on humanism
- Director of research for the Institute for Humanist Studies
- Named the Harvard University Humanist Chaplaincy "Humanist of the Year" in 2006
- Received the African American Humanist Award from the Council for Secular Humanism in 1999
- Located in Bonner Springs, KS
- Organizational psychologist with lifelong interest in the psychology of religion
- Author of three books, two in organizational psychology and one on religious infection
- Principal researcher on the recent report: Sex and Secularism: What Happens When You Leave Religion, A survey of 10,000 American secularists
- Founder of Recovering from Religion - "Learning the joy of faith free living" www.recoveringreligionists.com
- Raised in a fundamentalist home.
- Professional speaker, trainer and consultant
- Hobbies include mountain climbing, skiing, gardening, reading and travel
- lives in Los Angeles, California
- founded Yale's Humanist Society
- founded the Pathfinders Project
- received the 2014 Humanist Visionary award from Foundation Beyond Belief
- directs the Humanist Service Corps
- Pathfinders Project
- the Humanist Service Corps
- humanist fundraising dilemmas and strategic solutions
- leading and engaging millennials
- effective communication
- expressing humanist values through service
- ethical issues in international service from a humanist perspective
- mitigating superstition by promoting development
- vetting potential volunteer opportunities
- evaluating project success using both process and outcome measures
- other topics may be suggested!
|Andrew L. Seidel|
- Lives in Madison, WI and loves to travel
- Degrees include:
- Bachelor of Science in neuroscience and environmental science, cum laude
- Juris Doctor, magna cum laude
- Masters of Law, summa cum laude
- Speaking events:
- Andrew has given more than 30 talks at universities and law schools across the country.
- He has given talks and workshops at the last three SSA conferences in Columbus and has debated Bill O'Reilly.
- He frequently writes for FFRF's blog: http://ffrf.org/new/blog
- Awards include:
- FFRF Graduate Student Essay Contest, Second Place 2010
- Haber J. McCarthy Excellence in Environmental Law Award
- Outstanding Masters of Law Student, Denver University Law School
- Forthcoming book on international human rights
- Attorney, Photographer, Writer, and Former Grand Canyon Tour Guide.
- Located in Charleston, SC
- Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at the College of Charleston
- Founded and was faculty advisor to the Atheist-Humanist Alliance
- President of the Secular Coalition for America
- Former candidate for Governor of South Carolina
- Founded Secular Humanists of the Lowcountry in South Carolina
|James Sutter |
- Located in Seattle, WA.
- Co-creator of the Pathfinder RPG, currently the best-selling tabletop roleplaying game in the world.
- Professional author, game designer, and worldbuilder.
- Author of the novels Death's Heretic and The Redemption Engine, a fantasy series about an atheist in a world where gods are objectively real.
- Ranked #3 on Barnes & Noble's Best Fantasy Releases of 2011. Finalist for an Origins Award and the Compton Crook Award for Best First Novel, and winner of numerous ENnie awards for setting and game design.
- Regular guest speaker at Gen Con, World Fantasy Convention, Norwescon, Paizocon, Clarion West Writer's Workshop, and more.
- Twitter: @jameslsutter
- Located in Reston, VA
- President and Founder of non-profit Hispanic American Freethinkers
- Host of the secular HAFree Podcast (in Spanish)
- Freemason for over 15 years
- Teaches critical thinking seminars to high schools in Northern Virginia (Washington, DC suburbs)
- BS in Computer Science from George Washington Univ.
- MS in Management of Information Technology, University of Virginia
- Twitter handle: @davidfromhafree
- Located in Atlanta, GA
- Born and raised in New York City
- Never formally raised religious
- Married with 3 children
- A founder and President of Black Nonbelievers, Inc.
- Current board member of Foundation Beyond Belief
- Twitter: @mandy0904
- Located in Columbus, OH
- I am Co-Founder and Ideator-in-Chief of Intentional Insights, a nonprofit social enterprise dedicated to promoting rational thinking, emotional intelligence, and social intelligence
- I am a history professor, specializing in analyzing decision-making processes and outcomes in various historical contexts
- I am the former president of the New York University secular student group
- I am an activist of the secular humanist group in Columbus, OH (The Humanist Community of Central Ohio)
- I am an activist of the atheist group in the Unitarian Universalist (UU) church in Columbus, OH (UU Atheists, Skeptics, and Humanists)
- Twitter: @Gleb_Tsipursky
- Located in Pullyallup, WA
- Development Coordinator of Humanist Disaster Recovery Teams for Foundation Beyond Belief, the first national disaster recovery program for the secular community
- Co-host and writer for broadcast radio program, Ask an Atheist.
- Outed on live national television by Wolf Blitzer after a tornado destroyed her home
- Board member of Humanists of Washington
- Twitter: @ActuallyAtheist