- Located in British Columbia, CA
- Born and raised in the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas
- Left home on the night of his 18th birthday and ostracized from my family since.
- Was married for 23 years and raised four children
- After another 20+ years in mainstream Christianity he reasoned his way to atheism
- On the board of directors of Recovering From Religion
- Nathan has a documentary and book coming out in 2016
Nate Phelps is the son of Pastor Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church, which gained infamy from their protests at soldiers’ funerals around the United States. He is the sixth of thirteen children, and was taught his father’s extreme version of Calvinism from an early age. This was accompanied by extreme physical punishments and abuse, extreme dietary and health requirements, and other extreme expectations. Nate left home at midnight on his eighteenth birthday, and moved to California where he built a new life away from his family. He later moved to Canada, and only recently began speaking out about his story after a chance encounter with a reporter while driving a cab in Cranbrook, British Columbia. Nate has now spoken about his story to many groups around North America, and even returned home to Topeka in 2010 to tell his story to the people in his hometown. Today Nate lives in Calgary, Alberta and works for the Center For Inquiry Canada. He is a vocal LGBT advocate, and speaks out against the dangers of religion and child abuse.
He is currently working on a book which covers his exceptional story, and is the subject of an upcoming documentary film.
For more information, please check out:
Nate would love to talk on the following subjects:
- Growing up in a cult
- Religious based child abuse
- From religion to reason
- LGBT rights
Nate asks for a $350 honorarium to speak.
If you're interested in having this speaker come to your school and give a presentation, click here to fill out our online Speaker Request form.