- Located in Las Vegas, NV
- Ph.D student in the Department of Sociology at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Studies Evangelical Apostasy and deconversion processes
- Secular Student Alliance UNLV board member (2011-2012)
- Former Evangelical believer and meat eater
- Click here for her UNLV faculty page
Lori is a graduate of Pacific Lutheran University with her BA in Sociology. She is currently working on her master’s and Ph.D at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas where she studies the processes of deconversion through narratives of Evangelical apostates as well as mental health. Lori is a former Catholic turned Evangelical Christian who helped found a church, was a youth internship director and worship leader, and considered becoming a youth pastor. She deconverted from her Christian beliefs in 2005 when she was kicked out of her Evangelical church. Upon moving to Vegas from Seattle, she found her family and voice in the secular community and has been an active member of the UNLV SSA and Las Vegas Atheists since 2010. Lori has presented her research at various academic conferences and in front of many groups such as the SSA, Las Vegas Atheist meet-up community, and Halvason chapter of the American Humanist Association. When Lori isn’t trying to understand the reasons why people leave religion and how religious fundamentalism can be seen as a social psychological problem, she enjoys cooking, blogging, running, and karaoke.
Check her out on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6ywH-jgA4
Lori would love to speak on the following topics:
- Becoming Unsaved: Understanding Irreligious Experience and the Processes of Deconversion Through Narratives of Evangelical Apostates
- An Intimate Examination of Apostasy: The Case Studies of Lori and Dan
- Producing God: How the Megachurch uses Popular Culture and Entertainmentization to Manipulate Emotions and Produce Religious Belief
- The importance of creating community for non-believers
- The atheist experience as a happy experience
If you're interested in having this speaker come to your school and give a presentation, click here to fill out our online Speaker Request form.