- Located in Charleston, SC
- Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at the College of Charleston
- Founded and was faculty advisor to the Atheist-Humanist Alliance
- President of the Secular Coalition for America
- Former candidate for Governor of South Carolina
- Founded Secular Humanists of the Lowcountry in South Carolina
- Founder and President Emeritus of the Secular Coalition for America
- You can browse a collection of Herb's public speeches and debates here, or visit his website here
Herb Silverman is a Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at the College of Charleston where he has been awarded the Distinguished Research Award. He founded the Secular Humanists of the Lowcountry in South Carolina. He also donated an endowed Secular Humanist Scholarship. Herb is a National Board Member of the American Humanist Association. He is president and principal founder of the Secular Coalition for America, a group of national freethought organizations with an office and staff in Washington, DC. The organization engages legislators and the media on issues of concern to the nontheistic constituency. Herb is also a failed gubernatorial candidate, but a successful notary public who is active in defending the rights of religious non-believers in the political and social arenas. His latest book is Candidate Without a Prayer: An Autobiography of a Jewish Atheist in the Bible Belt.
Speaking topics include:
- The Candidate Without a Prayer (about Herb's run for governor of South Carolina)
- Tales from the Bible Belt (about a number of Herb's experiences in the south)
- The Secular Coalition and Political Activism
|Herb shows us the bright side of not believing in an afterlife.|
If you're interested in having this speaker come to your school and give a presentation, click here to fill out our online Speaker Request form.