- Currently located in Columbia, SC
- Currently getting PhD in Mass Communications, focusing on Women's Studies and Reality TV
- Worked in reality television as an editor -- shows included Toddlers & Tiaras, Flipping Out, Ace of Cakes
- Plays the Ukulele
- Member of the SSA Board of Directors
- Communications Officer at Provide -- An organization dedicated to abortion access, especially in the South
- Twitter: @ashleyfmiller
Ashley F. Miller is a writer, activist, and communications scholar from South Carolina, who has worked for LGBT, secular, and women's rights for over a decade. She is one of the leading young women in the secular movement, speaking regularly at schools and conferences across the country about feminism and communications. She has written for dozens of publications, including Salon, Freethought Blogs, and the academic journal CrossCurrents, and run local communications campaigns for law firms, news websites, and secular organizations. She is a PhD candidate in Mass Communications at the University of South Carolina, where she has focused on women and minorities in the media. Before returning to school for her PhD, she worked in film and television in Los Angeles. She has a Masters in Film Production from FSU, and a Bachelors degree from Emory University in Film Studies.
She has been invited to speak at The Amazing Meeting, Dragon*Con, Skepticon, CONvergence, FTBCON, UNC, DePaul, and the University of South Carolina.
Find her blog at www.freethoughtblogs.com/ashleymiller.
Ashley would love to speak on the following topics:
- Atheism and diversity
- Introduction to feminism
- Media literacy and how to work with the media
- Religion versus women, minorities, and LGBT
- Using Social Media effectively
- Film, Television, Young Adult Literature
- Blogging, Podcasting, Vlogging
- History of Christianity
- Coping with burn out
Ashley requests a $250 honorarium, but is happy to negotiate to make something work
If you're interested in having this speaker come to your school and give a presentation, click here to fill out our online Speaker Request form.