- Located in Bedford, MA
- D.Phil. in zoology from Oxford University
- Teaches human anatomy and physiology
- Senior lecturer in biology at Curry College in Milton, MA
- Interviewed on National Public Radio/Public Radio International.
- Also interviewed on WBAI radio in New York.
- Has presented at numerous colleges and humanist societies
- Recently published a new book entitled The Not-So-Intelligent Designer—Why Evolution Explains the Human Body and Intelligent Design Does Not.
- Her peer-reviewed article, No Data Required: Why Intelligent Design Is Not Science, appeared in The American Biology Teacher (page 507).
- She has been recently interviewed on the Humanist Hour and Freethought Radio, among other outlets.
- Received the "Ben Hidalgo Award for Community Engagement" from Curry College in 2016
A few years ago, Dr. Hafer realized that Intelligent Design is a political pressure group, not a scientific issue. With this figured out, she realized that what we need is political-style arguments in defense of evolution. Her presentation "Unintelligent Design" contains bulletproof science, but is short, easy to understand, easy to repeat, and makes the opposition look bad. In addition to being very popular at the AHA conference in 2009, this talk was also very popular at the AHA conference in 2011 and the American Atheists 50th anniversary conference in 2013. As an instructor of anatomy and physiology, coming up with five parts of the human body that don't work very well wasn't hard. Her knowledge of zoology enabled her to think of other animals that got better body parts, leaving one to ask: who does god like better-us or squid? This talk contains both science and comedy, and is very accessible for non-scientists. It was very popular at the AHA conference in June 2009.
New feature! This talk is now available on video. Your club can get together to watch this on YouTube, and Dr. Hafer can have a cyber question-and-answer session with you afterward, using GoToMeeting or Skype. Although it’s fun to have a live presenter, if you can’t afford Dr. Hafer’s travel expenses, she’s happy to work with you to make a cyber event like this possible.
Dr. Hafer's primary presentation is Unintelligent Design, but she can also present on other evolution-related topics such as:
- Animals That Shouldn't Exist, According to Intelligent Design
One of the great things about evolution is the sheer weirdness of its results. Dr. Hafer discusses some animals that you just shouldn't go to your grave without knowing about, and she will discuss some of the philosophical conundrums implied by their very existence. Find out about some of the most lovable and fascinating members of the animal kingdom, and why they knock some of our most fondly-held ideas into a cocked hat.
- Biology and Intelligent Design: They Really Speak Different Languages (and I can prove it)
Intelligent Design (ID) claims to be science. When you read papers by ID authors, they often use scientific-sounding language. However, the papers often seem to rely too heavily on argumentation and lack the use of, or even reference to, data. In this talk, Dr. Hafer will quantify this problem in a carefully dispassionate way and come up with some very interesting results. She will also discuss the Discovery Institute's fundamental antipathy to science, as revealed by the Wedge document.
- A talk based her book The Not-So-Intelligent Designer
Why do men's testicles hang outside the body? Why does our appendix sometimes explode and kill us? And who does the Designer like better, anyway-us or squid? These and other questions are addressed in The Not-So-Intelligent Designer: Why Evolution Explains the Human Body and Intelligent Design Does Not. Dr. Abby Hafer argues that the human body has many faulty design features that would never have been the choice of an intelligent creator. She also points out that there are other animals that got better body parts, which makes the Designer look a bit strange; discusses the history and politics of Intelligent Design and creationism; reveals animals that shouldn't exist according to Intelligent Design; and disposes of the idea of irreducible complexity.
- Everything You Know About Sex is Wrong. Part 1: The Gender Binary
Why does sex exist? What are males for? Is the gender binary real? And why does a microbe have the swingingest sex life of all? Find out the answers to these and other crucial questions in this talk.
If you're interested in having this speaker come to your school and give a presentation, click here to fill out our online Speaker Request form.