2017 Call For Nominations
The Secular Student Alliance Nominating Committee is currently seeking nominations for the slate of candidates to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is the principal decision-making body of the Secular Student Alliance. The Board determines the mission, vision, goals, and policies of the SSA. It also directs the Executive Director, who is responsible for day-to-day operations and directs the other staff.
This year there are four four-year non-student seats open and one two-year student seat available. The details of this procedure are articulated in our Code of Regulations.
In order to be considered for nomination to the Board of Directors:
- You do not have to be a student, unless you are being nominated for one of the student-reserved seats. To be eligible for a student seat, at the time of the election, you must be enrolled at a high school, be seeking an associate's or bachelor's degree, or have earned an associate's or bachelor's degree in the past two years and six months.
- You do not have to identify by any particular label -- "atheist" or "humanist" or anything else. You just have to support our mission, the key points of which are normalizing secular identity, and spreading secular values via student activism, with a focus on engaging intersecting causes (e.g., STEM, interfaith, and social justice).
- You do not have to live in any particular place -- the Secular Student Alliance is incorporated and headquartered in Ohio, but nearly all the Board's business is conducted by email or phone.
- But you do have to be an organizational member of the SSA -- you received this email because you are a current organizational member (we sometimes call this being an "active supporter" in our promotional materials).
- You do have to be smart, energetic, and passionate about the secular student movement -- this is not an honorary position, and you should run only if you intend to participate actively.
- You do have to be good at working via email and phone -- with the exception of two in-person meetings per year, almost all of our business is conducted electronically.
The Nominating Committee especially encourages applications from candidates from marginalized groups and candidates with professional experience in fundraising or accounting.
If you'd like to be considered by the Nominating Committee, please fill out this form by Monday, February 6, 2017 at 5:00 PM Eastern Time. If you would like to recommend someone else to the Nominating Committee, please feel free to send an email with the individual's name, contact information, and reason for the suggestion to email@example.com.
After reviewing the answers submitted to these questions, the Nominating Committee will select a set of candidates to be elected by vote of the Board at our February 2017 Board meeting.
Board terms start on April 1 and end after two years for student seats and four years for non-student seats, on March 31.