Request a Group Starting Packet
Would you like to start or help start an secular student group on your campus? Just follow the steps below to request a free Group Starting Packet.
The group starting packet is to be used by interested students and faculty wanting to start a secular group at their school. The Secular Student Alliance serves to support organize student groups that are already forming. We do not start groups at schools ourselves and believe the most effective way for secular groups to form is on a natural grassroots level. The students and faculty know the needs of their schools best because they are in that environment and have first-hand experience in that community.
The SSA's Group Starting Packet contains:
- A spiral-bound copy of our 80-page Group Running Guide
- Additional materials on getting your group started
- Neon flyers with contact information for your group
- Thumbtacks to hang the flyers
- Secular Student Alliance brochures, stickers and pens
- High School Bill of Rights (for high school requests)
The Group Starting Packet isn't just the physical packet either. In addition to the materials we send to you via snail mail, we do the following online:
- We create a "YourSchool@secularstudents.org" address for your group. This e-mail address won't have a mailbox you have to check - it simply forwards everything sent to it to the e-mail address you used to sign up for the GSP. Learn more at our Email and Web Forwards page.
- We create a page on our website dedicated to your school. This site will link to your Facebook group and e-mail address, as well as other pages on our site that offer information about who we are and what we can do for your group. (See our Sample Website)
Currently, our Group Starting Packets are only available within the United States. If you are working to start a group outside the U.S., contact our Group Starting Specialist and we'll provide you with digital versions of the materials we offer that are relevant overseas. Also keep in mind that there are several other organizations that exist to support secular groups in all parts of the world. We recommend that you contact these organizations to see what support they can offer to your group.
Please note that getting a packet does not make you an SSA affiliate. In order to affiliate, and have full access to our resources and services, you must meet the conditions explained here and fill out an affiliate application.
We offer Group Starting Packets free of charge to interested students, but they do cost us about $25 each to create and send. You can help support the Secular Student Alliance and defray the costs of your packet by joining or donating at www.secularstudents.org/join.
We encourage you to contact us if you have any questions about starting your group or working with the SSA. You can also check this video tutoral of the group starting process by Andy, our High School Specialist:
Follow these three steps to get your free Group Starting Packet!
Step 1: Check to see if someone from your school is already working on starting a group or if there is already a group on your campus.
Step 2: Take a few moments to create a web presence, such as a Facebook group or page, for your group. An online presence is an invaluable tool for starting a group, and we include information about your group's web presence in the materials we create. But we can't create one for you, so we need you to do that before we can send your packet. Get help at www.secularstudents.org/webpresence, and contact us if you have any questions.
Step 3: Fill out the request form to request your packet.
Step 4: Reply to the automatic response "Group Starting Packet Request Form" email. (make sure you add email@example.com to your spam exception list).
Step 5: Send the campus organizer assigned to you your school's requirements for making an official group.
Step 6: Check out our NEW group starting library here!