Request a Group Starting Packet
Ready to Start Your Group?
We try to make the process easy and provide help every step of the way! Start your group in three easy steps:
Step 1: Check to see if there’s already a group starting on your campus. If not, request a Group Starting Packet!
Excited? So are we! The next sections will break down the three steps. If you run into problems at any point, contact our Group Starting Specialist!
Step 1: Group Starting Packets
Before you go any further, check to see if someone from your school is already starting a group or if there is a group on your campus. If you have company, get in touch with the organizers on your campus or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can connect you!
No group starting on your campus? Are you sure? Great - read on!
The group starting packet is to be used by interested students and faculty who want to start a secular group at their school. The Secular Student Alliance helps organize student groups that are already forming. We do not start groups ourselves and believe the most effective way for secular groups to form is on a grassroots level. Students and faculty know the needs of their schools best because they have first-hand experience in the community.
We now offer two versions of our group starting packet: one for domestic colleges/universities and one for high schools (Note: there are other organizations that may be a better fit for international groups. We currently only work with groups within the US).
The College and University Group Starting Packet contains:
- A spiral-bound copy of our Group Running Guide
- Additional materials on getting your group started
- Neon flyers with contact information for your group
- Thumbtacks to hang the flyers
- Secular Student Alliance brochures, stickers and pens
The High School Virtual Group Starting Packet contains:
- A virtual copy of our Group Running Guide
- Additional downloadable materials on getting your group started
- High School Bill of Rights
- Access to our online resources for educators
We do ask that you have a public online presence when you ask for a group starting packet (a Facebook page or Twitter account works perfectly). We need this in order to create awesome materials and help you recruit new members! Get help at www.secularstudents.org/webpresence and contact us if you have any questions.
We offer Group Starting Packets free of charge to interested students, but they do cost us about $25 each to create and send. You can help support the Secular Student Alliance and defray the costs of your packet by joining or donating at www.secularstudents.org/join.
Step 2: Reply To The Email and Send Your Group Starting Requirements
We’re really hoping that you’re not a robot, but you need to reply to the automatic "Group Starting Packet Request Form" email so we can be sure. Make sure you add email@example.com to your spam exception list.
We also want to make sure your group is easily approved by your school or that we have legal backup if you run into issues. Send your campus organizer your school's requirements for making an official group. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues.
Once you complete this step, we will help boost your web presence by:
- Creating a "YourSchool@secularstudents.org" email address for your group. This e-mail address won't have a mailbox you have to check - it simply forwards everything to the e-mail address you used to sign up for the GSP. Learn more at our Email and Web Forwards page.
- Creating a page on our website dedicated to your school. This site will link to your social media and e-mail address, as well as other pages on our site that offer information about who we are and what we can do for your group. (See our Sample Website)
Step 3: Affiliate!
In order to affiliate and have full access to our resources and services, you must be active and recognized by your school, as explained in our affiliate application. In the meantime, check out our group starting library! Contact us if you have any questions or issues - our Group Starting Specialist is excited to help you out!