Board of Directors Application
Candidates for the Board of Directors
The Secular Student Alliance is seeking enthusiastic and energetic individuals to serve on the Board of Directors.
Board members serve a four-year term and are responsible for helping shape and guide the organization as it evolves to meet the needs of our student chapters, focuses on core values, and rises to meet the challenges presented by the current political and social environment.
If you have been looking for an opportunity to put your skills and passion to work to support the broader goals and values of secularism and humanism, to make an impact on the future, and to give back to your community, please submit the application below.
If you would like to recommend someone to the Nominations Committee, please send an email with that person’s name, contact information, and your reason for suggesting them to firstname.lastname@example.org or encourage them to fill out the Board of Director's application.
For more information regarding the nomination process, our diversity initiative, and nominee eligibility, as well as an overview of the role of Board members, please review the Board of Directors Expectations. If you have any questions, please contact Harry Shaughnessy, Board chair.
Secular Student Alliance
The Secular Student Alliance is a national education nonprofit with 300+ chapters in colleges and universities across the country, serving the growing population of secular and non-theist students. If you have been looking for an opportunity to put your skills and passion to work to support the broader goals and values of secularism and humanism, to make an impact on the future, and to give back to your community, please submit an application.
The Board of Directors supports the work of the Secular Student Alliance and provides leadership and strategic governance. The relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Serving as a trusted adviser to the executive director
- Attendance at board and committee meetings; participation that is informed and promotes critical thinking, healthy debate, and the effective function of the Board as a governing body
- Reviewing and approving as appropriate SSA’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Serving on committees or task forces, and taking on special assignments
- SSA’s directors will participate in creating a culture of philanthropy at the Secular Student Alliance.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- A commitment to and understanding of atheism and humanism.
- A natural affinity for cultivating relationships and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of students with secular values
- Board members will serve a four-year term.