Student Memberships for your SSA Group
Now you can sign up your SSA group members to become student members of Secular Student Alliance National! All you need to do is submit your group's roster to us (with just members' names and email addresses) and thats it! We'll give everyone an SSA membership and your group gains Chapter status!
- Your college-level group will gain chapter status with SSA National, which offers a wide range of additional national and hands-on support. (Gaining chapter status requires at least five members to be listed on your roster.)
- Your members will have a better sense of identity and belonging with not only your SSA group, but also with the national secular student movement.
- Since we can ship everything together (and save money on postage), we’ll even include great swag as a thank you for your group membership sign ups, such as SSA gel bracelets, buttons, and more.
- All SSA members receive a discount to the SSA Annual Conference, access to the SSA web store, eligibility to apply for SSA scholarships and project grants, and more!
- Tell your group about the program! Let them know about the SSA's Student Membership program and the benefits they get so that they know they're a member and are excited to be involved.
Download the Excel file
Google Doc Spreadsheet
(requires Google account)
- Share your group's membership roster with us. This is super simple to do! All we need are names and email addresses to sign up your members. Your student group might already have this if your school required you to submit a membership roster to them in order to be recognized on campus.
Make sure you tell us your school and group name as well as a mailing address for us to send your swag to. Also be sure to provide us with accurate information about your members' preferences regarding mailings and sharing. We don't want your members to be angry with us!
- Include your group's roster in Affilition Renewals each semester to save yourselves some time and energy!
- Send us the information. You can email us the spreadsheet or share your copy of the Google Doc with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bask in your accomplishment! You'll get your box of membership cards and swag in just a few weeks, mailed to the postal address of your choice.
- Be sure to email us with any questions at email@example.com!
What are some easy ways to facilitate group signups?
- If you have a laptop available, you get bring up the document found on this page at a general meeting and just let your members know that they can walk up and enter their names and email addresses.
- If you pass around a paper sign-in sheet at your meetings, you can let attendees know that you will use that day's sign-in sheet to enter their info for SSA membership sign-ups.
- Be creative! The form is super simple, and we only need a bare minimum amount of information to get your group members a Secular Student Alliance National membership.
What do you do with my group's information?
We'll add your members' information to our membership database, and if (and only if!) we have permission, we'll share that information with other secular organizations with which we work, such as the Secular Coalition for America. We never sell any contact information, and we will not trade contact information for individuals who have not given us permission to do so.
Will you contact my group's members?
Yes, the members of your group will receive monthly Student Membership newsletters as well as the occasional special opportunity for students or SSA members (we really do mean occasional - we hate getting overwhelmed by promo email, too). We will not solicit your members for donations.
What kind of benefits do SSA student members get?
Every student member will get a customized membership card, SSA vinyl window cling, sticker, and welcome letter. We'll also send extra goodies to groups that sign up in bulk, such as gel bracelets and buttons. Student members are eligible for discounted rates and leadership travel aid to SSA events and become eligible to apply for SSA scholarships and SSA project grants. Members also receive the SSA's monthly student member e-newsletter. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing and delivery.
Can I sign up myself or someone else individually?
Of course! You can do that here, but keep in mind that group signups get extra swag for signing up that individual members are not eligible for.
How long do SSA memberships last?
SSA memberships are good for a year. To make it easier to remember to renew, we have also included the option in our Affiliation Renewals to submit a group roster with your group’s Renewal.