- Located in Brooklyn, NY
- Political writer with an emphasis on feminism, secularism, and monitoring the religious right
- Blogs at Pandagon, Slate's XX Factor, and RH Reality Check
- Writes regularly for Slate, Alternet, and the Guardian
- Has written two books, one on feminism and one on liberal politics with an emphasis on secularism and science
- Has spoken on feminism, the religious right, right wing extremism, and the links between feminism and skepticism
- Has written for USA Today and Daily Beast
- Twitter: @AmandaMarcotte
Amanda Marcotte is a Brooklyn-based political writer who primarily covers feminism, sexuality, the religious right, atheism, and reproductive rights. She writes regularly for Slate, RH Reality Check, Alternet, and the Guardian, podcasts at RH Reality Check, and blogs at Pandagon. She's published two books, "It's A Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments" and "Get Opinionated: A Progressive's Guide to Finding Your Voice (and Taking a Little Action)". She speaks regularly on topics ranging from reproductive rights to right wing extremism to the links between secularism and feminism.
For examples of her previous talks, please check out the following links:
Amanda would love to talk on the following topics:
• The role of irrationality in sexism
• Why feminists should be critical of religion and atheists should be feminists
• Why reproductive rights are a matter of religious freedom
• Religious myths about sexuality and women's roles vs. real world realities
Amanda usually charges a $2,500 honorarium but can be flexible.
This speaker has special requirements and takes a lot of preparation work to bring in. Only experienced groups should consider bringing her to their campus.
If you're interested in having this speaker come to your school and give a presentation, click here to fill out our online Speaker Request form.