Secular Coalition for American hiring Director of Communications
The Secular Coalition for America -- the first national lobby representing the interest of atheists, humanists and freethinkers -- is seeking a part-time Director of Communications. The mission of the Coalition is to increase the visibility and respectability of nontheistic viewpoints, and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all.
The Communications Director is responsible for planning and implementing communication strategies that will build awareness of the Coalition and its advocacy efforts. Core duties include message development and increasing exposure for the Coalition in the media. The Communications Director will work directly with the Director and Associate Director of the Coalition and with the communication departments of the Coalition's member groups.
Candidates for this position should have a track record of developing and implementing communication plans. The candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong desire to work for the civil rights of nontheists.
Salary and Location
This is a part-time position preferably paid as a consultant. The total compensation for 2007 is limited to $20,000. This position will be off-site with the successful applicant providing their own office space.
Send a resume, sample press release (or other short writing sample), and cover letter via e-mail to [email protected]. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the development with staff and Coalition members of a comprehensive strategic plan, and media plans for various issue/project campaigns
- Oversee the implementation of these plans
- Handle proactive and reactive media opportunities
- Issue press releases that highlight the Coalition and its advocacy efforts
- Identify education opportunities and build contacts with members of the media
- Create opportunities for the Coalition's activists to provide feedback on news stories and editorials
- Work with Coalition staff and volunteers to ensure that appropriate messaging is incorporated into all publications, the Web site, issue papers, and other public materials
- Develop materials to promote the Coalition and its goals such as media packets, press kits, etc.
- Maintain a media contact database