Advocacy and Media/Communications Internship
The Secular Coalition for America (www.secular.org), the first lobbying group representing the interests of atheist, humanists, freethinkers, and other nontheist Americans, is seeking a media and communications intern for Fall 2006. In our small two-person office, the successful applicant will have the opportunity to become an integral player in our advocacy efforts. As a volunteer, the intern will also be permitted a flexible work schedule.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in developing and implementing SCA's media strategy
- Conduct research related to SCA issues
- Draft SCA press releases and Op-Ed pieces
- Perform fact checking for SCA publications and press releases
- Pitch releases to the press
- Update media database
- Assist as needed with SCA event planning
- Perform news monitoring and article distribution
- Provide general administrative support
Candidates should have a high level of computer literacy, an academic background in journalism or communications, and a dedication to nontheist civil rights.
ApplicationsCandidates must send a cover letter describing their qualifications for the position, a resume, and the names and contact information of three references. Send the materials to Ron Millar, Associate Director, by email at [email protected] (MSWord or PDF only) or by mail to SCA, P.O. Box 53330, Washington, DC 20009-9997. The deadline for applications is August 31st, 2006.